Girl Geek Dinner Sydney Video – meet some of the regulars and find out why they love Girl Geek Sydney!
Girl Geek Dinners History
Girl Geek Dinners Sydney were started in 2008 by Damana Madden who first learned about Girl Geek Dinners from Hugh Macleod’s blog and thought it was a cool idea. She especially liked the attendance rule:
If you are male and wish to attend this event you must bring a female with you or be brought by a female. NO FEMALE, NO ENTRY!!!! Sorry Guys! (We need to keep the numbers balanced!) And ladies, one date only please!
As she noted: “What a clever way to create a different distribution of gender than your typical technology-related meetup.”
ThoughtWorks was having internal discussions about supporting diversity in the community and remembering Girl Geek Dinners, Damana proposed initiating something similar here in Sydney. And thus Girl Geek Dinners Sydney was born.
Here’s the video that Sarah (creator of the first Girl Geek Dinner) made for us to help describe what Girl Geek Dinners is as well as provide advice for how to start one.
There’s lots more background on this over at Girl Geek Dinners.
- Girl Geeks Sydney is a community offering support, networking and mentorship to women involved in technology and the web
- Girl Geeks Sydney believe that women do not always receive fair or equal opportunities and are dedicated to changing that situation
- Girl Geeks Sydney do not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexuality, age, race, religion or programming language
- Girl Geeks Sydney encourage women to be fiercely, passionately outspoken but are committed to helping the voices of the quiet, the shy and the n00b to be heard
- Girl Geeks Sydney believe that well behaved women seldom make history*
* Laurel Thatcher Ulrich